Charlie's House Fire
Vietnam Marine Veteran Charlie, and his girlfriend, lost their home due to a house fire. In this house fire, Charlie remained only with what he was wearing and the American Flag that a fireman saved. He is currently living with his paralyzed son. Unfortunately, Charlie was on hard times and did not have an insurance policy to include losing all his savings in the house. We gathered clothes and other essential items for them to meet their immediate needs.
While raising money to get Charlie another home, his bond between him and his paralyzed son grew more potent than ever. One day, Charlie approached us when we showed him a potential home and stated that he did not want to move into his own home, that he was happy with his son. At that point, our project changed. Immediately we asked what he needed for the family that he was currently in because we had already raised money for him. That is when we found out that their HVAC system was inoperative. With the soon to be cold weather coming, we immediately acted and was able to get the HVAC system and ducting replaced in their home.
Our next step was to replace the back porch and ramp for Charlie's home. This porch had been up for over 20 years, and with his son being paralyzed, it is important to ensure that the porch remains usable. We completed the porch and ramp build and had a barbeque to help feed our team members, Charlie and family.